Zinner & Co. Blog and Newsroom

Yes, a Do-Over Does Exist in Business! What you need to know about the Rescission Doctrine

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Oct 24, 2016 10:51:04 PM

As a business owner, you're entering into transactions potentially on a daily basis. Suppose you enter into a transaction with someone, hurrying to get the deal closed as you're set to rake it in. It comes around to December, and your accountant is preparing a projection of what your tax liability will likely be for the year.

Then you get a call that you're going to owe a boat load of money to the government for that transaction you failed to consult with your accountant about beforehand. What do you do now?

Read More

Topics: hkass@zinnerco.com, taxes

Did the IRS Get Their Share of Your Fantasy Football Winnings?

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Aug 29, 2016 9:08:01 AM

So through some miracle, you ended up with enough healthy players at the end of your season to triumph in your fantasy football championship.  Although you may still be riding that high, like yours truly, it’s good to know how this may or may not affect your tax return for this year.  With fantasy football becoming ever more popular year after year, it’s becoming a larger target to the IRS.

Read More

Topics: IRS, Taxes - Individual, hkass@zinnerco.com

Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What You Need to Know That Can Save You Dough

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Jul 31, 2016 9:30:00 AM

With school just a few weeks away, many parents are in the thick of back-to-school shopping. The thought of spending countless hours in the stores and comparing sale prices online to save on pencils, paper, book bags and school clothes can be daunting.

Fortunately, the State of Ohio has renewed legislation allowing for a second sales tax holiday, August 5 – 7, 2016.  This sales tax holiday only applies to certain types of goods purchased from 12:01 am August 5th through 11:59 pm August 7th

Read More

Topics: Taxes - Individual, hkass@zinnerco.com, education

Can You Borrow Money from your Retirement Account ... and Should You?

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Jul 25, 2016 8:00:00 AM

So you’ve finally had enough of the hype and are determined to score a pair of tickets to see “Hamilton” for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s final performance as the lead.  Tickets selling through ticket brokering sites are going for outrageous prices, and you’re a bit short on cash.  Should you embark on a personal revolution and loot your retirement accounts to go?

In a recent article, we addressed the exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty on IRA distributions taken prior to an individual reaching age 59 1/2.  In such a case, the IRA distribution would still be subject to federal income tax and, potentially, state income tax, and would result in permanently removing those assets from the IRA, having a negative impact on the availability of future retirement income. 

So, if you need a quick cash infusion and do not want to suffer the income tax ramification of an IRA distribution, what can you do?  One option would be to take a loan from your retirement account.  While an advisor may not typically recommend that an account owner borrow from their retirement account, a loan from one’s retirement can have both benefits and costs, as discussed below:

Read More

Topics: hkass@zinnerco.com, Retirement Planning & IRAs, Taxes - Individual

Can You Hear Me Now? IRS phone call just another scamming trick this tax season

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Mar 28, 2016 3:47:56 PM
Read More

Topics: fraud, hkass@zinnerco.com, Taxes - Individual

9 Exceptions to the IRA Early Withdrawal Penalty

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Feb 12, 2016 4:35:53 PM

Almost all of us put money into some type of retirement plan with the goal of one day being able to retire and live comfortably. 

Sometimes, though, you find yourself in need of a little extra money for things such as attending college, buying a home, assisting with medical expenses, and the list goes on. So, you decide to take an early IRA distribution to help pay for these expenses. While these are all very important and necessary expenses, understand that once a distribution has been made from an IRA, a taxable event has occurred. 

Taxable Event - What it will cost you
In addition to paying income tax on the distribution, there may be an additional 10% penalty on an early distribution that could apply to taxable distributions made before one reaches age 59 ½.  Fortunately, there may be some good news; there are a number of circumstances that can result in an exception to the 10% penalty. 

Let's take a look at the exceptions to the 10% IRA withdrawal penalty for a distribution prior to age 59 ½ and the circumstances that must occur :

Read More

Topics: Retirement Planning & IRAs, hkass@zinnerco.com

Ohio's Sales Tax Holiday: How many more pencils can you really buy?

Posted by Zinner & Co. on Aug 5, 2015 11:18:00 AM
Read More

Topics: hkass@zinnerco.com, tax services, Taxes - Corporate & Business

When Your Poker Face Pays Off: Tax Rules for Gamblers

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Aug 4, 2015 10:16:00 AM


Read More

Topics: hkass@zinnerco.com, Taxes - Planning, Rules and Returns

Looking to Cash in on the Republican National Convention?

Posted by Zinner & Co. on Jul 20, 2015 9:43:00 AM
By Michael Hermes
Tax Senior

...be aware of the tax credits and consequences of renting out your home

The countdown clock has begun for the opening of the Republican National Convention. It is estimated that 50,000 people will descend upon Cleveland in July of 2016, spending an estimated $200 Million on everything from political paraphernalia  to Parma pierogis.  With so many people coming to the city, hotels will be hard-pressed to accommodate such a large influx of visitors over a short period of time.  However, this may present an opportunity for you to be an Airbnb host. 

What is Airbnb?  Airbnb is a relatively new online marketplace that enables people to rent out lodging for periods ranging from just a few days to up to a month.  With the advent of this marketplace, travelers now have more travel accommodation options available to them than ever before.  Accommodations available on the site have included apartments, houses, castles, treehouses, and boats.  If you plan to take advantage of this opportunity to become an Airbnb site, it’s important to understand the tax reporting requirements related to that activity.

  • If you rent out all or part of your home or apartment for less than 15 days during the year, all of the rental income you receive is tax-free and does not need to be reported on your tax return.  To qualify for this treatment, the home or apartment must be used personally for more than 14 days or 10% of the total days the home is rented to others at a fair rental price.  It should be noted that the 10% calculation does not take days the property was vacant into account, including days the owner spends principally on repairs and maintenance. 
  • In addition, there are strict limitations in place to ensure that you don’t deduct any personal expenses.   You are allowed to deduct 100% of your direct rental expenses, subject to the limitation mentioned above.  These are expenses that apply only to renting the property, such as fees or commissions you pay to the rental agency (such as Airbnb), advertising, credit checks, insurance (for the rental period only), cleaning costs, repairs (solely for the rental portion of your home), and depreciation (limited to the rental portion of the home).   You may also deduct a portion of your general expenses to own and operate your entire home, such as mortgage interest and real estate taxes, utilities, insurance, cleaning expenses, repairs, landscaping, and other home maintenance expenses.  You must allocate the deduction for these general expenses based on the amount of time the property served as a rental, compared to the total time it was used during the year.  
  • If you continue to occupy the home or apartment while you rent out a room, you won’t have an issue with meeting the personal use requirement.  Personal use includes all days the property was used by the owner, certain family members, and any party that was charged less than fair market rental rates.  If you rent out the entire space, you’ll have to make sure to keep track of the number of days the home is rented and how many days you utilize the home personally.  This tax break is often referred to as the “Masters exemption” because of its popularity in Augusta, Georgia, where it is utilized heavily for the golf tournament of the same name.  If you fall under this exemption, you may exclude the rental income you collect and include 100% of the qualified residence interest expense and real property taxes as deductions on Schedule A.  However, you will not be able to take any other deductions resulting from operating expenses related to the rental period. With the increase in use of this exemption and the popularity of services such as Airbnb, there has also been an increase in the number of computer-generated tax notices due to conflicting tax reporting.  This generally results from the issuance of 1099 tax forms by the service companies who facilitate the rental being sent to the taxpayer/landlord, and the taxpayer/landlord not reporting the rental income on their tax return.  The IRS has yet to address this issue, and Airbnb is standing by its conservative approach of filing 1099’s regardless of the term of the rental.  You may attach a statement claiming the exemption to your tax return, but this may not always prevent a tax assessment notice from being sent by the IRS.  The best practice is to maintain detailed records in the event you must respond to such a notice, should you meet the tax-free rental treatment.
  • If you rent your main residence, house, or apartment for more than 14 days during the year, and live in it 15 days or more, you won’t qualify for tax-free treatment.  In this case, you’ll fall under Section 280A of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), the code section covering the rental of vacation homes.  You’ll have to report and pay income tax on your net rental income by filing Schedule E with your individual tax return.  You will be permitted to offset the rental income received by the expenses associated with renting your home, not to exceed the rental income reported for the year.  Thus, in this case, you will be able to bring your net rental income down to zero, but you won’t be permitted to deduct a net loss from the rental activity.
  • If instead of renting your entire home, you rent out only a room or several rooms, you can only deduct these general expenses in proportion to the portion of the home rented.  For example, assume you rent out your property for 37 days during the year.  The property would be considered a rental for 10% (37 ÷ 365 = 10%) of the year.  Therefore, you would be able to deduct 10% of your general expenses and all of your direct expenses, up to the amount of rental income earned during the year.
Read More

Topics: hkass@zinnerco.com, Republican National Convention, Taxes - Planning, Rules and Returns


Latest Posts

Learn why Zinner & Co. loves Cleveland

Subscribe to Our Blog