Blog & Newsroom

Are 2018 Income Taxes Easier to Prepare Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act?

Like any good consultant, my answer is: It depends.

Q:  I’m concerned. I was sure I paid my income tax this year when I filed, but I have just received a call from someone saying they are an authorized IRS collection agent and I need to pay a small balance now due ($350). The agent said I should pay by prepaid debit card.  What do you recommend?  

Bailey J., Private Business Owner
Akron, OH

Chris Valponi, CPA
Audit and Assurance Manager

Q:  I volunteer as a Board member for a mid-sized not-for-profit. At times, I feel that I am just going through the motions of reviewing and approving the balance sheet or the Treasurer’s report during our monthly board meeting. Are there duties that I could take on to be a more effective board member?   
Pat M. – Volunteer board member, Cleveland

Reporting trustee fees by a trust on a Form 1099-Misc is not required.  The 1099-Misc is for payment of services performed in a trade or business by people not treated as employees.  

One of the first things we ask for when we obtain a new trust client is “Can you provide us with a copy of the trust agreement?”

You’d be surprised that, sometimes, the answer is, “I’m not sure where it is and I’ll have to find it and send it over later,” or, “It was created by Mom or Dad’s estate and I don’t have a copy,” and worst yet, “I’ve lost it and don’t have another copy”.