Zinner & Co. Blog and Newsroom

Do I Have to Issue a 1099-Misc for a Trustee or Executor Fee Paid by a Trust or Estate?

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on Feb 22, 2012 4:24:00 PM

Reporting trustee fees by a trust on a Form 1099-Misc is not required.  The 1099-Misc is for payment of services performed in a trade or business by people not treated as employees.  

Trusts and estates are generally not treated as a “trade or business” and nonprofessional trustees are serving in a capacity that does not qualify as a “trade or business” activity for that individual.  Therefore, we generally do not issue 1099s for executor or trustee fees.


Free Consultation

Topics: Estates, Gifts & Trusts, Ask the Expert


Latest Posts

Click me

Subscribe to Our Blog