Zinner & Co. Blog and Newsroom

Oops. What you need to know if you discover an error after you have filed your income tax return.

Posted by Zinner & Co. Tax Department on May 17, 2017 4:13:48 PM

If you discover an error after filing your return, you may need to amend your return. The IRS may correct mathematical or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules.

In these instances, there's no need to amend your return. However, do file an amended return if there's a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits. Use Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (PDF), Form 1040A (PDF), Form 1040EZ (PDF), Form 1040NR (PDF), Form 1040NR-EZ (PDF), or to change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS.

You can also use Form 1040X to make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit; however, you may also be able to use Form 1045 (PDF), Application for Tentative Refund, instead of Form 1040X. Also, if the Form 8938 (PDF), Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets, applies to you, file it with an annual return or an amended return. See the Form 8938 Instructions for more information.

Learn more about income tax planning from the Zinner & Co. tax team

Read More

Topics: Taxes - Individual, IRS, Matt Szydlowski

Pay Me Now, Pay Me Later: Should you pay quarterly estimates or utilize tax withholdings?

Posted by Matt Szydlowski, CPA on May 8, 2017 9:58:48 AM

Many clients ask if it is more advantageous to pay quarterly tax estimates or utilize their tax withholding. I wish there were a simple, cookie-cutter answer. However, as no two taxpayers are alike, the same goes for the manner in which one can pay one’s taxes. 

Both methods of paying income tax have their pros and cons.  The best selection depends on your personal preference and, more so, financial situation.  A majority of self-employed individuals must utilize quarterly payments.  However, if you have an income source such as retirement distributions, social security or employee wages, you have the option of withholding tax from those income streams in lieu of paying quarterly. 

Read More

Topics: Taxes - Individual, income tax, IRS, Matt Szydlowski


Latest Posts

Click me

Subscribe to Our Blog