Blog & Newsroom

Ask the Expert: I recently moved. I set up mail forwarding with the U.S. Postal Service, is there anything else I need to do?

Setting up mail forwarding is a great start, but there are a couple more steps you should Ask-the-Experttake:

  • Notify the IRS – When you move, you should complete a change of address form and send it to the IRS. If you fail to notify the IRS of a change of address and they send you a notice or assessment, you may incur additional penalties, interest and even miss your right to an appeal. Do not wait until tax filing season to notify the IRS of a change of address. Tax court case law shows that failure to notify the IRS of a change of address is solely the responsibility of the taxpayer.

  • Nofify your vendors – If you receive regular visits from vendors and service providers, be sure to let them know that you have moved.

  • Notify your customers – Be sure to notify clients that you’ve moved, especially those that have outstanding balances with you – otherwise the “check must have gotten lost in the mail” excuse might actually be valid.

  • Be sure to update the web – Don’t forget to update your website’s contact page, as well as other important websites such as Google Places and review sites such as Yelp. Failing to do so could adversely affect your company’s local search rankings.
  • Notify your tax professional – Changing your address may have an impact on your state and local taxes. Failing to adjust your withholding to reflect your correct tax jurisdiction may cause you to be over or under withheld. If you have questions about the tax implications of a move, contact us.